Week 1 Task: Reflect on how your understanding of the purpose of education is visible in your classroom.
The purpose of education (in my perception) is to empower my learners to embrace the 4 C’s (Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking and Creativity) which will enable them to:
- use sources of information to share thoughts, questions, ideas and solutions
- actively participate with other learners, to enable them to work and learn effectively
- ask questions to feed their curiosity, to develop their understanding and to make links to their learning
- come up with new ideas and trying to do things differently
Positive relationships, knowledge of individual learners, giving learners a voice and choice (learner agency) and a happy and safe learning environment is crucial to facilitate learning.
How is education visible in my classroom?
- Learning is prominently displayed in the classroom
- Our learning is shared locally and globally by using our class blog and individual blogs
- Class Wiki with Individual Learning Plan for learners (and many other learning areas)
- Participate in KidsedchatNZ discussions using our class twitter account
- Being involved in Quadblogging Aotearoa
The purpose of ‘why’ we are learning something should be very clear to all and learners should be able to be thinkers and risk takers in a sheltered environment.
~ "I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn." - Albert Einstein ~