Saturday, March 1, 2014

Teaching as Inquiry (Maths)


Main question: "How can I accelerate the progress of my focus group of students to where they should be in relation to the National standards?"  Using some initial data and knowledge of my students, I was able to identify (target) students.

My Focusing Inquiry questions were:
  • What assessment information do I have?
  • What are my students' strengths?
  • What are my students' learning needs?
My Inquiry: "How can I support these students to show and explain their thinking?"

My Teaching Inquiry questions were:
  • What instructional strategies will I use to help students achieve?
  • What resources will I need?
  • How will I differentiate to meet student needs?
  • How will I encourage student ownership of their learning?
  • What personal learning do I need to undertake? (Research/Readings/Support from others/Professional Development/Observations/videos)
Actions:
  • Encourage student recording: Whiteboard, Student books, iPad - voice/ video, Student blogs
  • Relevant problems: student interest, addition and subtraction
  • Using materials
  • Providing challenge: students think of problems
  • Learning buddy work: explain what buddy said
  • Questioning: provide thinking time
My Learning Inquiry will look at:
  • What impact has my teaching had on my students?
  • How do I know, what is the evidence? (Assessment/Student feedback - feed forward/Observations)
  • What do I need to do next?
  • What changes could I implement?

Reflection: (To be elaborated on in due course)


~ "Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them what counts is best"
 - Bob Talbert  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment