Thursday, January 9, 2014

Permission to make mistakes

Why are we so afraid to make a mistake? Is it the fear of being criticized or people's reactions to our blunders? Sometimes, we experience how other people responding negatively to our mistakes, and that lead to us thinking of mistakes as something bad.

But is making mistakes really that bad? I guess not. 

I have the tendency in beating myself up every time after making a mistake, and I have to remind myself to look at it as that I have just had the opportunity to learn something.  Do I find this easy? Definitely not! 
As a perfectionist I find this really, really hard. I need to remind myself constantly that I am human and in the end, I think it is more productive to recognize  mistakes as positive experiences.  (I am working on this!)

Last year I introduced the acronym F.A.I.L. to my 5 year old learners.  It worked a treat, as I have observed how using this was helping them to grow in confidence.  They even reminded me at times; "It's o.k., you are allowed to make a mistake. It's your First Attempt In Learning!"

Therefore, I will definitely use that acronym with my learners again this year - to support them, but most importantly, to help me to show them I am a learner as well and I am not afraid to try and to fail.

I also like the following from, Greg, a Principal in Canada who shared this:



Wouldn't it be nice if this is shared with all colleagues and students in your school?  I am almost certain that a lot more could/would be accomplished, if teachers and students alike know that it is acceptable to make mistakes.

So go on, try something new this year, make a mistake!  I know I will!


~"Those who don't jump will never fly" - Almashat ~


No comments:

Post a Comment