Monday, April 25, 2022

Try something new

 I recently came across this article saying that 'New research shows controversial Reading Recovery program eventually had a negative impact on children'.

As a trained reading recovery teacher [some years ago], I found this article very interesting and agree with many of the points raised.

As a reading recovery teacher many years ago, I kept track of the students I've had the privilege to 'help' and experienced first hand that those students who were with me for Reading Recovery did not receive any further support after being discontinued. Teachers in second grade also did not support these students' reading journey further and let them 'fall back' into the system and a "normal'' reading program. As a result, many of these students did indeed lose their gains, which was really disheartening to see. 

I am not involved in Reading Recovery any longer and have moved away from the "normal" reading program. My focus at present is on Structured Literacy and I can really see the advantage of this program - above any other that I came across thus far. I also use a book from Heggerty every day in a whole class setting. I notice that these sessions are great for introducing and reinforcing vital concepts relating to Structured Literacy.

In using Heggerty and Little Learners Love Literacy during my Structured Literacy program, I’ve managed to accomplish a huge gain in confidence and mana for my students. This program is so rewarding - for me and more importantly for students!

If I had any say in education, I would be an advocate for and encourage every teacher to use Structured Literacy as it is explicit, systematic teaching and follows a sequential order of skill introduction.

Maybe you are the change agent in your school, and ready to take that next step...



~ "The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it." - J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan) ~


No comments:

Post a Comment